Any online discussion about COVID is instantly generating passions, debates, and arguments. My own opinions are of a different kind and hope not to upset anyone.
Here is my COVID manifesto:
- In all discussions about COVID, I take a humble position, recognizing my ignorance and leaving space for those with other opinions. They may or may not be right.
- I am not afraid of catching COVID. This is not because I am brave or lucky, but because (1) I may not be able to avoid it, and (2) if I catch it, there is nothing I can do about it. I may die anyway by many other causes, including car accidents and other diseases.
- I am not afraid of vaccines, and I do not care about them. I take the vaccine or the boosters if I must, as for instance for travel or for keeping my job.
- I am not pro vaccines or anti vaccines. Both sides have their arguments, but I am not a specialist to make final judgements. I do not despise people having strong opinions on one side or the other. They may be right, or they may be wrong.
- I am not pro masks or anti masks. I believe there were exaggerations on both sides. I wear a mask where I must, such as in grocery stores, if there is a local ordinance for it. I do not wear a mask where I do not have to. I hug my friends regardless.
- I do not like the “follow the science” phrase, because (1) science is not a collection of final dogmas, but a method of investigation, and (2) the phrase is politicized, reflecting not scientific endeavor but political goals.
- I only want to live my life in peace, free form terrors or political manipulations.